Tuesday 19 January 2010

2010-01-19: UP AGAINST SOME VERY SERIOUS ODDS, WHERE TO?


Today it came to my attention that a couple is up against some very serious odds to save the life of their infant son.

Please see the article quoted below which featured in the Calgary Sun on January 18th, 2010.

{{As their baby fights for his life, a Rocky Mountain House couple are about to battle Alberta Health Services and Edmonton’s Stollery Children’s Hospital who want to take their son off the machines helping keep him alive.

Rebecka and Isaac May will be in court in Edmonton Tuesday to try to get a 90-day injunction to keep their three-month-old son, Isaiah, on life support.

After Isaiah was born Oct. 24 with severe oxygen deprivation and had to be airlifted to Stollery hospital for treatment, doctors told his parents he was brain dead.
“They said he would never move, his eyes wouldn’t dilate,” Isaac said.

But as the little boy remained on life support, his parents thought things were looking up as Isaiah began to gain weight and show signs of improvement.

Then last Wednesday they received a letter from Alberta Health Services stating his diagnosis was unchanged and that the hospital would be withdrawing life support on Jan. 20, prompting the couple to take the matter to court to fight for their son’s life.

“He’s doing everything they said he wouldn’t,” Rebecka said.

“We believe he will keep improving and we just want to give him more of a chance.”

“We believe every life is a life worth fighting for.”

Holding her baby in her arms at the hospital, she continues to be optimistic.

“I will fight for him until I can’t fight for him,” she said.

“Because I love him.

“As a parent you always want to hope.”}}

Retrieved from: http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/01/18/12520211.html on 2010-01-19.



While I am not aware of the full situation, I do believe that no society has the right to put a price on a human life.

It made me ask: "Is there anything I/you/we can do to assist the parents in their struggle to keep their baby alive?"


In support of the parents, I posted this message in my Facebook status;

"Baby fights 4 his life; Rebecka & Isaac May 2 battle in court Alberta Health Services & Edmonton’s Stollery Children’s Hospital CANADA wanting 2 take their 3 month old infant son off machines helping keep him alive. Please post this message in u're status 4 an hour if u care about the life of little Isaiah May! DO NOT LET LITTLE ISAIAH DIE! (Read more: http://www.calgarysun.com/news/alberta/2010/01/18/12520211.html )"

A Facebook friend then raised the following, very valid, question:

"This is hard what happens to the child if he is a vegtable and the parents die who then look after him/her just asking It happen to a friend of mine he and wife are dead the child/man 30 yrs old has nobody to look after him but a hospital with Goverment nurses ?"

This was my response:

"..., my answer below is not meant as a judgement upon you or anyone, but, rather, is how I believe, we should view the world and all suffering. I am quoting it from the KJVR, as I cannot say it any better than it is already stated in His perfect Word:

'Thou shalt not kill. (Exo 20:13 & Deu 5:17)

Mat 5:21 Ye have heard ... Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment: ...Verily I say unto thee, Thou shalt by no means come out thence, till thou hast paid the uttermost farthing. (Mat 5:21-26)

For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. (Rom 13:9)


O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: because his mercy endureth forever. ...I called upon the LORD in distress: the LORD answered me, and set me in a large place. The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me? ...
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.
It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes....
The LORD is my strength and song, and is become my salvation....
The right hand of the LORD is exalted: the right hand of the LORD doeth valiantly.
I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the LORD. The LORD hath chastened me sore: but he hath not given me over unto death.
Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD...
This is the LORD's doing; it is marvelous in our eyes....
This is the day which the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it....
God is the LORD, which hath showed us light: bind the sacrifice with cords, even unto the horns of the altar.
Thou art my God, and I will praise thee: thou art my God, I will exalt thee. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth forever. (Psa 118:1-29)


Mat 6:25 Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
Mat 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
Mat 6:27 Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
Mat 6:28 And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
Mat 6:29 And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
Mat 6:30 Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
Mat 6:31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
Mat 6:32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
Mat 6:33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Mat 6:34 Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

Luk 12:22-34'

To sum up:
1. Love other people as you love yourself (fallible humans have no right to say who lives or dies, only God does)
2. Trust God in & for everything (even to look after braindead people)
3. The whole world is under Gods Will & Control (even death)
4. God's mercy is enough for us (He is our strength, even when life is bad)."

I hope this will be of some comfort to you as you traverse the terrible trails of your life's journey.

For His Glory,

Lizette De Klerk
2010-01-19.

© 2010 Lizette De Klerk.

No comments: